Wednesday, March 30, 2011

two steps forward, two steps right back

I flew across the country this weekend to get another opinion. My parents met me in San Fran so they could attend the appointment with me (my husband is finishing up school and couldn't come). After the last Dr. appointment I had an emotional breakdown. Nothing like being told your baby making days are numbered. It was after that my parents decided no more appointments alone.

Anyway, the new Doc. She agrees that I have POI. But says it is not nearly as severe as the last Doc told me, which puts her in line with the first Doc. Borderline POI. Good news? Yes, undoubtedly. She recommends having a yearly AMH test to keep track of my egg supply. She also thinks IUI is a reasonable treatment plan for me, at least for 2-3 tries.

I feel uncertain now. What treatments should I pursue, what blood tests should I take? I don't have a clear path or plan anymore and I feel tired. Tired of doctors, of treatments, of uncertainties. Do I wait until I move in 2 months and then find a new doctor and start treatments? Do I try and squeeze one more treatment in before graduation and moving? Do I try IUI or just go for IVF?

I don't know where to go from here or what decisions to make.


  1. I'm glad to hear about the "new" diagnosis! And, I definitely understand just feeling tired of it all.

    I wish I had good advice about what to do next. But, it totally depends on what will work the best for you and your husband. I know I have always been impatient to get moving, but I know that taking some time might also be good -- especially since it sounds like you don't really have to rush in immediately. I think whatever makes you feel most at peace when you think about it as a plan is the way to go! Good luck with the decisions!

  2. Well I am glad you spoke to someone else about this. Especially about something so important.

    I was/am in the same situation with being unsure about what to do next. It's tough! I wasn't sure if I should continue paying for the IUI's and hope for a miracle or if I should close shop with that treatment and head straight to IVF. It came down to my gut and whether I felt that IUI would really do it for me.

    My conclusion was that since we didn't have male factor, IUI wouldn't give me a huge advantage. So we are chosing to go more aggressive. And certainly paying for it.

    I wish you the best of luck in making this decision. It is SO stressful, but I think once we can both fully committ to it, we'll feel better.

    All the best, MissConception